As reported on Area Interfaith Outreach (AIO) (Pantry and Emergency Assistance) website, Pies on Parade is their largest fund raiser of the year. Over the past thirteen years, more than $150,000 has been donated to AIO’s Food Pantry from this event to help provide food for Knox County families. This fund raiser provides enough funds to feed 100 hungry families for a full year when paired with other matching donations. This year, a new Saturday event, in partnership with the Pies on Parade weekend, will take place in Camden. The Camden event will commemorate the 60th anniversary of the filming of Peyton Place in Camden.
100% of the cost of the tickets for the event in Camden goes to AIO. Maritime Energy matches up to $2000 in funds donated through the oil can collection jars placed in businesses throughout Rockland, silent auction at Trackside Restaurant on Saturday, January 27th, and the Camden event ticket sales. If you have not heard of Pies on Parade before check out our blog post prior to last year’s event or the official website where you can purchase tickets for both the Saturday and Sunday events.
Pies on Parade introduces a new Saturday Event in Camden 2017
The focal point of the new Saturday event is a Peyton Place scavenger hunt/trivia contest with a grand prize gift basket valued over $1,200. Tickets are $15 per person with children under 10 free. For those participants interested in the pies, there will be pies served at several locations throughout the scavenger hunt.
PLEASE NOTE; this is a family friendly event so the questions focus on place and time of the movie not on the scandalous or adult themes of the movie.
- Participants will pick up the tickets for the event at the Camden Office of the Penbay Chamber of Commerce in the Public Landing between 10am and 2pm. The Lincolnville Business Group will be providing tasting of savory breakfast pies when you pick up your tickets and map.
- The Event Map will identify all the stops on the scavenger hunt. The participants will need to visit each stop on the map to get the Peyton Place trivia question. Although one can pick up tickets and maps before the “official” start time of the event (12 noon). Not all venues may be open before noon, check map for details.
- Each stop on the map will have the question posted in view for participants.
- Participants may find some of the answers in the display in the Camden Public Library or by watching the movie.
- The Camden Public library will be showing Peyton Place twice on January 27, 2018. The first time is at noon and the second time directly after that.
- Participants will record the answer to the question on their map to be submitted at the end of the “hunt.”
- Participants drop off entries at Blackberry Inn between 12 noon and 4 pm. One entry form per ticket.
- All entries with all trivia questions answered correctly will be entered into a random drawing for the gift basket. The gift basket will be awarded at the Silent Auction at Trackside in Rockland at 7pm. You need not be present to win.
Lincolnville Business Group will be serving savory pies at the Camden Chamber of Commerce between 10 am and 2pm.
The Bay View Collection will be serving mini bite-sized versions of their Bourbon Pecan Pie and Caramelized Leek & Mushroom Tart in the Vintage Room at 16 Bay View from 12 noon to 4 pm.
Boynton-McKay will serve a sampling of pie from 12 noon to 4 pm.
Zoots will be serving a sampling of spinach feta Quiche (a classic) and a crustless, gluten-free curried “quiche” made with basmati rice from 12 noon to 4 pm.
Grand Prize 2017
Thank you to all of the following Camden Businesses for the donation of the prizes and to Camden Riverhouse for donating the funds for the printing needs of the event
- Owl and Turtle $20 gift certificate
- Lily, Lupine and Fern $30 gift certificate
- French and Brawn $50 gift certificate
- The Village Shop – a $25 gift certificate
- Stone Soup Books – Peyton Place the blockbuster novel that shocked a nation, and 5 other Peyton Place related books
- Stonewall Kitchen (SK) – the January launch of new products with a retail value of $31.50
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Autumn in New England always calls for a trip to the orchards, where everything apple is available for sampling. The Apple Cider Vinaigrette captures those flavors and feelings of fall, letting you enjoy the tart taste of fresh-pressed apple cider year-round. Shallots, garlic and black pepper add warmth and bite for a dressing that is delicious drizzled over roasted root vegetables or used as a marinade on poultry and pork.
- Bourbon Bacon Jam – SK believes most things are better with a few pieces of bacon or a splash of good bourbon, so naturally they set out to combine these two crowd favorites into a single jam. The resulting spread is sweet and smoky, finishing with a caramel bite from the bourbon. Tender apples, maple syrup, onions and shallots round out the recipe, creating a complex jam that instantly elevates appetizers, adds depth to cheese boards and builds a better burger.
- Ghost Pepper Jelly – You asked for a punched-up version of the SK Hot Pepper Jelly, so they brought in the big guns, incorporating ultra-hot ghost peppers into this jelly. The sweetness from pure cane sugar and red bell peppers helps balance the spice for a flavor heat seekers will love. Give your taste buds a big kick by adding this jelly to appetizers, cheese plates or glazes.
- Mediterranean Grille Sauce – Taking flavor cues from Italy, Greece and Spain, SK’s Mediterranean Grille Sauce is like taking a mini tour of Southern Europe. Kalamata olives, green olives and capers provide salty, briny notes that are balanced with aromatic garlic, tart lemon, sweet honey and their own blend of spices. Get inspired by its namesake region and use this sauce on pastas, seafood and vegetables for a light and flavorful meal.
- Surrounding a Pottery by Kathy Phillips pie plate
- Once a Tree – an Encore Collection Chimes of Earth by Woodstock Wind Chimes, The World’s favorite windchime valued at $50
- Waterfront $50 gift certificate
- Swans Island $50 gift certificate
- Jo Ellen Designs – a 2×3 hooked wool JoEllen Designs Rug valued at $95
- Boynton-McKay – a $100 gift certificate in addition to the pies for tasting
- Theo B. Camisole – a Black and white necklace with coordinating earrings values at $115
- Leonard’s a bracelet made in Sea Glass set in silver, artist designed made in Indonesia, retail value, $180
- Blackberry Inn – a two-night stay
A special thanks to the Towne Motel for creating the scavenger hunt questions and helping plan the Camden event. Be sure to stop by to taste their pies in Rockland on Sunday.
Tickets are on sale now for both Pies on Parade 2018 events. Sunday’s event tends to sell out before the event. For event tickets, purchase on-line or call 207-236-8842 or 207-596-6611 . Be sure to check out our Promotions to check out the latest seasonal packages..