There is no better time to visit our quaint Camden Inn than in the fall! Outside of lovely day-time temperatures and fewer crowds, guests can enjoy an abundance of Maine attractions in September. This includes a plethora of ongoing summer outdoor activities, festivals, events, and seasonal happenings. Keep reading to learn why you should plan your fall getaway with us in Camden.
Unlike our neighbors to the north, Camden offers perfect fall temperatures averaging in the 70s throughout September. With gorgeous summer weather stretching into the fall months, guests are able to take advantage of all the wonderful outdoor things to do in Maine. As water temperatures are at their warmest, guest can enjoy sailing, kayaking, swimming, stand-up paddleboard, and other fun water activities without the crowds or cold weather.
Those wanting to explore the land and see the area from a different vantage point can choose from multiple scenic hikes in Camden. These include the Coastal Mountain Land Trust trails, the Georges River Land Trust trails, such as the Spruce Mountain hike, and Camden Hills State Park, which offers 30 miles of hiking bliss. We also recommend checking out trails to Bald Rock Mountain, Mount Battie, and Maiden’s Cliff, as they all offer spectacular views.
Seasonal Festivals & Events
Like all seasons, fall offers a wide selection of unique festivals and Maine events which can only be appreciated in September, like apple picking in Hope Orchard. Some of the most popular events include:
- The 2019 Camden International Film Festival and Points North Documentary Forum will take place September 12-15 in Camden, Rockport, and Rockland, Maine. This event is one of the top documentary film festivals in the world as it showcases over 80 documentary features and short films from around the globe each fall. Nearly all films are followed by Q&A sessions with filmmakers, along with a number of musical performances, interactive installations, networking sessions, and special events that enrich participant experiences. Hawthorn Inn is a proud sponsor of CIFF!
- The Foreign Auto Festival 2019 will be hosted at Owl’s Head Transportation Museum (OHTM) on September 14 -15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This fun event will feature Volkswagen, along with a world of imports such as Bugatti and Maserati. There will also be aircraft demonstrations with more than a dozen rare, restored and replica aircraft for visitors to admire.
- The United States Coast Guard, the Maine Office of Tourism and the American Lighthouse Foundation are proud to sponsor Maine Open Lighthouse Day. Guests who attend this event on September 14 will have the rare opportunity to learn and climb over two dozen historic Maine lighthouses, including several that are close to Camden, such as Curtis Island Light, Owls Head, Pemaquid Point, Marshal Point, and Rockland Breakwater Lighthouses.
Short Maine Getaways
For guests on a tight schedule who want to experience all the best things Maine has to offer, we recommend jumping on the 36 Hours in Camden and Rockport, Maine train, as seen in the New York Times Travel section. Below are our top recommendations for a quick trip.
- Salt Water Farm is a cooking school for chefs of all levels. Head Chef and instructor, Annemarie, teaches traditional cooking methods and resourcefulness in the kitchen during fun classes and workshops. Each session helps you to prepare simple, nourishing meals using local ingredients. Her summer classes and workshops fill up fast, but she still has some availability in her fall classes, sign up today if your fall dream is to be a master of cuisine.
- If you’re a foodie, these Camden restaurants should definitely be on your bucket list. There are many restaurants in Camden and Rockport including seven with outdoor dining options overlooking the Camden Harbor and two overlooking the Rockport Harbor. Some of our favorites include The Drouthy Bear Pub, Rhumb Line, Fresh and Company, and Nina June.
With fewer travelers in town, comfortable temperatures, and a ton of things to do in Maine during fall, I think we can all agree, September is the best month to visit Camden for your fall getaway. Make sure to check out our specials and packages and book your incredible Maine getaway today!