- a 2 night stay at the Hawthorn Inn
- Upon arrival, enjoy the shops in Camden or do one of the many outdoor activities in the local waters or mountains.
- Distinctive two course breakfast each morning
- Participation in an all-day race on the Schooner Olad.
- This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Great Schooner Race. The Great Schooner Race is North America’s largest Annual gathering of tall ships!
- Lunch and beverages are included on your Great Schooner Race Adventure on July 8, 2016.
- Guests are encouraged to take a turn at the helm, tend the lines, raise the anchor and sails and enjoy the camaraderie that quickly develops over the course of the Race. It is anticipated that 20 schooners will take place in the race.
Schooner Olad History
The Schooner Olad was originally called the “Whistle Binkie”. Horace Manley Sr. designed her in 1926 for Alexander Smith of New York City and Great Island, W. Yarmouth, Massachusetts. The vessel was built over the winter of 1927 and was launched for the 1928 season from the Crosby Yacht Building & Storage Co. in Osterville, Massachusetts. Alexander Smith owned the boat for many years and sailed it between New York and Massachusetts.
Charles H. Mason III purchased the schooner in 1940’s and renamed her the Schooner Olad. After the Mason’s, she sailed in the Caribbean. In the 1960’s, she came north again to her native Massachusetts waters. She became part of the Province Town day sail fleet. In 1985, John Nugent purchased her and brought her to Camden, Maine. The Olad has been part of the Camden Day-Sail fleet ever since.
Come to Camden and enjoy a Great Schooner Race Adventure!