We have modified a number of our policies and procedures to keep our guests, the Hawthorn Inn team, and our local community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. The details of each are contained below.
We must comply Governor Mill’s plan for Restarting Maine’s Economy. The Governor developed the plan on four guiding principles. As stated in the plan, progression is planned month-by- month. As data is collected, plans may change. We have seen evidence of this in the earlier that initially planned opening of retail stores and restaurants. We will be in touch with guests as reservations approach. In addition, we will update this page as new information is received.
As of July 3, we are permitted to host
- Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut residents with out restriction
- Those that have completed a quarantine after arrival in Maine for 14 days
- Those entering Maine that agree to quarantine for 14 days or the duration of their stay if shorter in a Maine lodging.
- Do not take public transportation or ride-shares, avoid crowded places, keep distance from others (about 6 feet).
- You cannot go to public places including retail stores, restaurants, grocery stores or other essential personal reasons, except to seek emergency medical care.
- Plan to bring food or arrange to have it delivered or contactless pick up
NOTE: You can go hiking, biking, or places where there is not a high density of people. Take out/picnicking is also fine
- All other out-of-state residents who meet the requirements of the Keep Maine Healthy plan
- Adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 test no later than 72 hours prior to arrival in Maine
- Maine’s enhanced testing capacity in July resulting from an agreement with IDEXX, will serve as a back-up option for tourists who cannot be tested at home and commit to quarantining in Maine while awaiting results
- One can find testing sites here
- This Certificate of Compliance must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request.
- All other out-of-state residents who meet the requirements of the Keep Maine Healthy plan
As these times are very uncertain, we are no longer requiring a deposit when a reservation is made. A credit card is required to secure the room. The credit card will be charged the entirety of the stay within 24 hours prior to arrival date.
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are limiting the rooms that are available in order to facilitate social distancing. The common rooms in the main house will be closed to guests. We will only be renting Caroline and Emma Knight in the main house and Norfolk, Watney, Cabriolet, and Brougham in the Carriage House. By limiting the rooms, each guest room has a semi-private entrance. Each entrance will only provide access to 2 guest rooms.
There is no penalty for cancelling a reservation by 3pm the day before arrival. Cancellations after 3pm the day before arrival are charged the entire stay. Because of our size, cancellations affect us significantly. Please notify us as soon as you become aware that your plans have changed.
Prior to Arrival
You will receive 3 automated emails from our reservation system prior to your arrival. Each will contain useful information regarding your upcoming stay and make you aware of any ongoing changes for our compliance to governmental guidelines.
We have implemented a text messaging tool called Whistle to facilitate our communications during your stay. 48 hours before your stay, you will be sent a text message to opt into Whistle. Please take the time to opt in.
If you experience any of these COVID-19 symptoms as defined by CDC within 24 hours of your departure or have been exposed to someone confirmed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days, please stay home.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Or at least two of these symptoms
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
If you are not feeling well, give us a call to work with you to reschedule your visit, provide a travel voucher for the future, or cancel the reservation as described in the cancellation policy above. We may choose not to honor a reservation if a guest arrives and is visibly ill.
Guest Room Prior to Arrival
Cleanliness is always a top priority at the Hawthorn Inn. Many of our guest reviews make a note of this.
We are following the recommendations made by the CDC, the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA) Stay Safe Program, and Select Registry. As a requirement for re-opening in the state of Maine, we are complying with the Lodging and applicable sections of the Restaurant COVID-19 Prevention Checklists as required by the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development. Some of the highlight of these enhanced procedures include
- When possible, rooms are left empty for 1 day after a guest leaves before it is cleaned and disinfected. Where this is not possible, the room is left empty for a period of time, fogged with a hospital grade disinfectant following manufacturer’s instructions, then cleaned and disinfected.
- All unnecessary linens (decorative pillows, extra blankets, etc) have been removed from guest rooms. (Please ask if you need extra pillows or blankets)
- All bed linens are laundered according to CDC guidelines
- Rooms are sanitized after cleaning with particular attention paid to high touch surfaces
- Rooms are locked after cleaning and sanitizing
Throughout the remainder of the facility, we are decontaminating high touch surfaces such as counters, doorknobs and handrails frequently.
Guest Room During Your Stay
For your safety and that of our team, we have suspended guest room cleaning/tidying during multiple night stays. Housekeeping/staff will not enter a guest room during a stay unless the guest makes a special request.
Guests will be instructed to write any linens or any other items they may need on the back of the daily menu which they will place on the breakfast tray. The requested items will be placed just inside the guest room door in a closed bag. Guests will be able to text/call anytime for additional items they may need or for any questions they may have.
Guests will be instructed to place tied off trash bags outside to the door for staff to discard. Dirty linens to be removed from the room, will be placed in laundry bags outside of the room.
During Your Stay
For your safety and that of others, we ask when you are on the property that you practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other guests and Hawthorn Inn staff. You are required to wear a face covering in Maine in public where it is not possible to socially distance by 6 feet.
Our team is trained on
- the importance of frequent and proper handwashing,
- the new and enhanced procedures,
- the importance of staying home if they are not feeling well
- how to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
There is appropriate signage around the facility to remind everyone of these policies.
Staff will have their temperatures taken upon arrival each morning. Staff will not be permitted to work if their temperature exceeds 100.4 degrees F.
Housekeepers will wear cloth face coverings and gloves when cleaning rooms.
Laundry personnel will wear cloth face coverings and gloves when handling dirty laundry.
The Hawthorn Inn team will wear cloth face coverings when they interact with guests. Whenever possible, they will wear gloves if they are presenting something to a guest, or taking something from a guest. If it is not possible to be wearing gloves, they will wash their hands before and after the transaction.
Guests are to enter the driveway through the south entrance and stop in front of the front porch of the Main House. Guests should remain in the car and call or text to notify staff of their arrival. A Hawthorn Inn team member will greet the guest by the car and have the guest sign the sign in sheet with a sanitized pen (or their own). The team member will present the guest with an envelope containing the sanitized key and directions to the guest room and will describe where the room is and answer any questions the guest may have. The guest will be instructed to pull around to the side of the main house and unload their luggage and then park their car in the parking lot below.
If there are multiple guests arriving at the same time, we ask you to respect social distancing.
If you would prefer to have a Contactless Check-In, please let us know and we will provide those instructions to you.
We will not be serving breakfast in the dining room. When the weather is appropriate to eat outside, guests may choose to eat on the patio or decks. There is ample space for social distancing. When the weather is not appropriate to eat outside, a breakfast tray including our full breakfast service will be delivered to the room at the prearranged time. We will knock on the door to let the guest know breakfast has been delivered.
When the guest finishes breakfast, we will ask them to place all dirty dishes on the tray, place it outside of the door, and notify us that they are finished. Hawthorn Inn staff will retrieve the tray.
For your safety, we have temporarily suspended the fresh fruit, chocolates and treats in the common area. There are now Keurig machines and mini-refrigerators in the Carriage House guest rooms.
We do not serve dinner at the Hawthorn Inn. Restaurants have been given the go ahead to open on May 18, 2020. A number of the area restaurants have been doing take-out during the shutdown. We would anticipate that they will continue to do so. Guests are welcome to grab take out and eat in their rooms or on the tables on the patio and back deck.
Please note, due to the Maine State Law governing our Liquor License, the only alcoholic beverages that can be consumed in the public spaces (including the gardens) of the inn are those purchased at the Hawthorn Inn. A violation of this law can cause the State of Maine to revoke our license. If you bring alcohol with you, please consume it in your room. If your room is in the Carriage House you may also consume it on the room’s patio/deck.
Check Out Procedures
Check out is 11am. When you are ready to leave, please leave your key in the room on the night stand by the bed and pull the door shut. Please text or call to let us know that you are leaving.
These are very trying times. Please be patient. This is our first stab at trying to make our facility the safest it can be for you. There may be things that will need remediation along the way, please share those with us and help us to make them better. If you have stayed with us before, this looks much different than the warm welcome you have received before, tell us what would make it better. Hope to see you soon.
We love for our guests to enjoy the outdoor spaces including the fire pit. Please respect other guests and our neighbors by ensuring your voices are not carrying. Quiet Hours are between 10:30pm and 8am.
We are a No Smoking and no vaping facility. The ENTIRE property is non-smoking and non-vaping facility. A minimum $250 restoration fee will be assessed for any evidence of smoking/vaping and/or damages to the room or property.
We are sorry we cannot accommodate pets, but are happy to assist you in finding a kennel nearby.